Sunday, March 6, 2016

Digital Blog Post #D

   There are many useful technological ways that teachers can use to create a good learning environment in their classrooms. One of the resources are electronic communication between teachers and students. "There are multiple social media technologies to use in teaching, including the following: e-mail/text messaging, blogs, wikis and teacher or classroom websites" as referenced by Maloy (2013 pg. 187). A blog is a regularly updated website or web page, typically one ran by an individual or small group, that is written in on informal or conversational style. Blogging can improve students' writing skills and build their confidence as writers, as well as a great tool for helping students learn different educational purposes. One example that I have found to be a great website for blogging is Blogger. Blogger is a free web blog publishing tool from Google. I personally have had to use Blogger for my college assignments and have had to incorporate photos, videos, and embed other websites to my blog. Although we do not blog in our classrooms this is still a great technological website that one day hope to utilize within my classroom. Another social media website is Wikispaces, Wikispaces classroom is a social writing platform for education. I used Wikispace for a collaborative group project that allowed me to communicate and work on writing projects with my team mates. Wiki makes possible collaborative learning environments where students' and teachers can work together and discover key concepts that encourages students' to work as a team. Check out this cool Flipquiz I made!


   Tech Tool 10.2 topic: Extra-large and online calculators have many different uses. Although we don't use calculators with our 2nd grade class, I still think this information was informative. "Calculators enable students to visualize mathematical operations" as referenced by Maloy (2013, pg.258). Different examples of handheld calculators and calculator web apps to use with students' that I could use with a higher grade or even myself is Web 2.0 Calc.This website is a free online scientific notation calculator which functions include math expressions, plots, unit converter and so much more. I wish this was around when I was in high school. It would have saved my mom money having to buy a pricey calculator such as the T.I. calculators. Another website MartinDales's Calculators On-Line Center is for middle and high school students'. This website contains over 24,000 calculation programs with interactive simulations, teaching modules, lectures, courses and more. Tech Tool 10.2 is a great insight on different apps/websites for not just students but anybody who needs help with math equations featuring many helpful resources to view and share.



    Parent-teacher communication plays an important role in student success in schools. E-mail has dramatically changed parent-teacher communication. Many teachers use e-mail because it's more timely. We live in a society where people have their cellphones glued to their hands and not many people like to talk on the phone but would prefer text-messaging or e-mails. For me personally, I would prefer you text me or e-mail. It's something about having to check my voice mail and hear a message for a few seconds and sometimes even minutes that I avoid having to do. Communication over the phone is starting to become obsolete and e-mailing is more effective with students' parents. E-mailing parents is timely, restricts vocal and nonverbal cues and a great documenting log if ever needed to be use of a parent-teacher dispute. Parent-teacher e-mail exchanges can also revolve around academic and social behavior. E-mailing parents is an effective way for both teachers and parents to communicate because of the convenience.



    Chapter 8 & 10 shared different technological use. Learning about why teachers use blogs, wikis, and e-mailing is pivotal in the society we live in. Communication technologies can enhance learning for students' and teachers through online application and collaboration. Using these websites has helped me learn new aspects of teaching and combining it in lesson plans for when I become a teacher. Now buying a calculator has become a thing of the past and there are free websites for students' to access that is assistive technology. Using online calculators or apps enables students' to perform tasks that they were formerly unable to accomplish such as an enhancements like a calculator. I know I will use these different strategies in my profession.





Resources:

Blogger (2016, March 3,). http://www.blogger.com

Martindale's Calculators On-Line Center (2016, March 3,). http://www.martindalecenter.com/calculators.html

Maloy, Robert, O'Loughlin, R., Edwards, S., & Woolf, B. (2013). Transforming Learning with New Technologies. 2nd edition. Boston MA: Pearson Education

Portillo, N (2016, March 3,) My EME2040 Chp. 8 & 10. Created with FlipQuiz http://www.flipquiz.me/u/naas-portillo/my-eme2040-chp-8-10

Web 2.0 Calc. (2016, March 3,). http://www.web2.0calc.com

Wikispaces (2016 March 3,). http://www.wikispaces.com

No comments:

Post a Comment